|The Boy's turn for something new for school!|
I found the original shirt in a free box in my neighborhood ages ago, and I didn't get around to making it into anything before we moved to Tokyo. Now that we are back, I was ready to cut it up!
|The Boy just learned to whistle. Can't stop won't stop.|
I wish I had taken a picture of the shirt before I sewed it into it's new form. The side seams were SO crooked! If I had owned that shirt it would have driven me crazy. I had planned on just folding the shirt front and back in half, lining up the side seams, and cutting out my new pieces, but lining up the side seams proved impossible so I cut the original shirt into pieces along all of the seams.
Turned out, because of the steep angle of the side seams, I wasn't able to fit my pattern pieces onto the fabric. But I didn't give up! I pulled another old t-shirt out of my upcycle bin and cut some black pieces to fill in the gaps. I was using the existing hem on the red shirt, but since I had to hem the black patch at the bottom, I decided to use contrasting red thread in my double needle just for fun.
|The patches could still use a pressing though!|
I also used the ribbed neckband from the black t-shirt to create a new neckband for this shirt, bringing more of the black into the look.
I think the angled blocks add a fun element to the shirt! My son said the triangles are cool, so that's all the endorsement I need.
He's so sweet--he wore the shirt to school the next day since I made it for him. I used one of his existing t-shirts to make the pattern--he's so long and lean in the torso, so I love being able to make shirts that fit right! Seems like a lot of RTW shirts are too wide and short.
|He's wishing he never taught Little Sister about the art of the photobomb.|